Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Natural Autumn Decor Warms Up Your Home


I love Autumn in the northeast. The rich, vibrant, golden colors surrounding us when we are outdoors inspire us to get outside more, appreciate nature and breathe in fresh, crisp air. I find that the deep burgundies, burnt oranges, rich chocolate browns and dark forest greens of the season actually help to comfort and “warm us up” as the weather begins to turn cold and we find the need to break out our knitted sweaters and scarves.

One of my favorite things to do, besides cook and bake like crazy during this season, is decorate my home. I am pretty much OBSESSED when it comes to gourds and home decorating during this time of the year. I enjoy bringing a little bit of nature’s bounty into my home and appreciating all of the rich colors, textures and scents of the season.

When I think of Autumn I think of the smell of Old Fashioned Cinnamon Apple Crisp filling my home and pumpkin everything - pies, breads, muffins, puddings. I also love making hearty soups, stews and roasted vegetables. Pretty much anything warming, creamy and comforting helps me feel nice and toasty from the inside out in this cold weather.

I love to start gathering cute little gourds, different sized edible pumpkins and squashes, pine cones and pressed leaves to arrange as centerpieces for my festive holiday tables. These inexpensive natural decorations can really help to enliven a living space and bring natural beauty into your home.

I recently had a friend over for lunch and made a beautiful arrangement using many of these items. What a difference it made! The table was all dressed up and took our meal from mediocre to fabulous!


To make your own Autumnal inspired decorations, start with some simple gourds and pumpkins. I recently found some beautiful Tiger pumpkins at my local Trader Joe's. How stunning! Mix these with an assortment of mini pumpkins or even some white pumpkins like these:


White pumpkins like these are so stunning and simple, they even look good like this, in a simple arrangement on a plate or bowl.

You could also get more creative and arrange something more elaborate like this:


Here are some other fantastic arrangements that will brighten up your Autumn table for any holiday, family gathering or upcoming Thanksgiving meal:



Here is a more elegant look for a table setting:

Check out this link for Martha Stewart's Fall Centerpieces to dress up your table and home: Martha Stewart's Fall Centerpieces

Happy decorating! 


No comments:

Post a Comment